Inspired by Mies van der Rohe

Cantilever Chair

Houzz

Mies van der Rohe Cantilever Chair MVR24 Zoom

Inspired by Mies van der Rohe

Cantilever Chair

Save 25%

Availability: In stock

Regular Price: £351.13

Special Price £263.35

Reset Configuration

* Required Fields

Description

100% Made in Italy. Mirror polished and chromed or lacquered steel tube frame. Seat and back upholstery in thick cowhide.
History
A continuous line of steel tubes and two pieces of cowhide. What appears to be an extremely simple idea, in reality is very complicated to apply. This cantilever, with sinuous lines, was presented in 1927 by Mies van der Rohe at the memorable exhibition of the Deutsche Werkbund, which he organized in the Weissenhof quarter in Stuttgart. It greatly resembles Mart Stam’s chair; in fact, the precursor of the cantilever – the chair that renounced both back legs – was object of dispute in German courts between Stam, Mies, and Breuer. Polished chrome or lacquered steel frame. Seat and back in thick cowhide or cane

Additional Info

Dimensions W49 D69 H82 CM
Inspired by Mies van der Rohe
Line Chairs
Model Chair
Structure Schema MVR24
L. Mies Van Der Rohe

Mies-Van-Der-Rohe

L. Mies Van Der Rohe

(1886-1969)

Constructive clarity expressed to perfection. That’s what I call architecture.

One of the most significant and influential architects of the 20th century, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe is considered the most rigorous of the Rationalists, with his pure, perfectly geometric spaces, organized on planes free from the restrictions of walls. Born in Aquisgrana, he studied and worked as a furniture designer in Berlin, coming into contact with Gropius and Le Corbusier. He later remained fascinated by the works of Wright. When he opened his own architecture studio, his work became closer to the De Stijl and Constructivism movements, and he began to use in his projects steel and glass, extremely innovative for the time.

Vice-president of the Werkbund, a cultural organization of primary importance in the ‘30s, he also was director of the Bauhaus. Among the main European projects there are the Weissenhof building in Stuttgart, Villa Tugendhat in Brno, and the German pavilion for the 1929 International Exposition in Barcellona. In 1937, he moved to the United States, where he was Dean of the Faculty of Architecture at the Institute of Technology of Chicago, dedicating his efforts, among many other things, to the building of skyscrapers, studing continuously new and functional designs.